Saturday, December 1, 2018

679 Artifact 1 - Module 7 Reflection

Module 7 Reflection
A7 Create an Online Rubric
for Scoring a Tech-based Project


I enjoy digging into the module resources. Some are better than others. Module 7 looked like most as I approached it.


Then I clicked on How to Create a Rubric that Does What You Want it To Do  This is a dialog blog article from Grant Wiggens from 2013.  How to Create a Rubric that Does What You Want it To Do.  I thought, “Oh my goodness this looks so so drab. This is going to be a big snore.”   I just wanted to go to bed.  Despite my weariness, I dug in and persevered.  That is when it happened.  Grant Wiggins blew my mind!  I was inspired.  


I now realize that most of the rubrics I have used are ineffective.  Some were truly checklist.  The students only needed to make sure the item was in the project.  The rubric did not support learning. It did not enhance the quality of the project.  Other rubrics simply increase and decrease the intensity level using comparative language.  I see this all the time.  According to Wiggins,
“It’s ultimately lazy to just use comparative language; it stems from a failure to provide a clear and precise description of the unique features of performance at each level. And the student is left with pretty weak feedback when rubrics rely heavily on words like “less than a 5” or “a fairly complete performance” — not much different than getting a paper back with a letter grade.”
  Now I’m scared.  Now that I know the truth.  I must respond.   

By the way, Wiggin’s name is spelled wrong in our resource.  I was concerned when I could not find him on Twitter.  LoL!  I figured it out.  But that is the point.  Regardless of his the misspelled name and a blog post with a few typographical errors, my learning flourished.  The excitement was ignited.  

For my Online Tech-based Project I want my students to create a book on Book Creator.  Now it is time for me to go back to my Genious Hour lifestyle and use the Book Creator tool.  Even though I won the paid version over the summer at the ISTE conference in Chicago, I have not learned the tool.  I’m not making excuses.  This year our building focus has shifted.  Compliance and uniformity are valued more than innovation.  It’s okay.  I found a way to sneak this in.  

Students will create a digital book and share it with our class.  Students can select any genre.   We will develop the books in class.  We will support and peer edit each other's work as we progress.   We will then share our books with other classes, administrators, parents, and teachers.  Students will then vote for books to be considered for our Young Author’s Writing Showcase.  

Okay, so I have the Tech-based Project.  Here is my book.  Well, the start of a book.  It is an exemplar of proficient.  I will allow the students to serve as editors.  The students will give me suggestions for moving forward with my book.  I hope that as we do our "think aloud learning process" we will all grow and be inspired to publish our best work product.  

Now for the Rubric. I focused on impact criteria.  I read and reread the words from the Wiggin’s Bolg over and over for inspiration.  
“You need to learn early and often that there is a purpose and an audience in all genuine performance. The sooner you learn to think about the key purpose audience questions – What’s my goal? What counts as success here? What does this audience and situation demand? What am i trying to cause in the end? the more effective and self-directed you’ll be as a learner. It’s not an accident in Hattie’s research that this kind of metacognitive work yields some of the greatest educational gains....we don’t want learners to fixate on surface features or specific behaviors; rather, we want them to fixate on good outcomes related to purpose....The rubric should thus always describe “better” and “worse” in tangible qualitative terms in each descriptor:  what specifically make this argument or proof better than another one?  So, when using comparative language to differentiate quality, make sure at least that what is being compared is relative quality, not relative arbitrary quantity.”

The Rubric

Click to See

I am so excited to begin the journey of using the Book Creator.  I’m sure I’ll reap infinite rewards with my learners. I really appreciate the ease of using Google Docs to build a rubric.  

This “write your own book” project combines the best of Genious Hour and Core ELA Writing requirements.  The project is actually assessing their impact as young authors.  

The best news is that my entire 5th-Grade team of teachers is interested in this project.  There is a possibility of having our team provide professional development to the entire staff in April using this learning project.  



No comments:

Post a Comment