Wednesday, August 22, 2018

Introductory Blog Post ED 678, 679 & 680

Introductory Blog Post ED 678
  

The Rolling Stones 60S GIF
There is often a song or a lyric in my head that inspires and carries me through a blog post. For this REintroduction, I can't get the Rolling Stones out of my head. I'm not sure why. The Rolling Stones performing "Sympathy For The Devil", live at Zilker Park, Austin, Texas, 22nd October 2006.  If you click the link, you will be able to enjoy the LIVE Official version on YouTube.






I'm not sure how the GIF of Mick Jagger matches the beat of the music when I play the video in another tab.  LOL

It has now been almost one calendar year since I began this formal ed tech journey with this cohort. September 2017 I was dealing with my mom having her gallbladder removed and what we thought was a seemingly simple obstruction of her bile duct.  I wanted to learn and grow professionally, and my mom and family encouraged me. It’s been a challenging year. Cancer is extremely disruptive, chaotic, and just plain awful.  My mom continues to heal, and I continue to grow. Things happen so very fast in ed tech and in life.

Update
Since her last scan, my mom now has no evidence of disease.

Then and Now Semi-Infographic
(Inspired by Lynda Siezega)




Before August 2017                                                                        


I knew how to click on a link but not how to create one.         



Now
I can create a link in my sleep!
Before August 2017
I had not taken graduate level courses since my daughter was a very young toddler.

Now

I


I have successfully completed three four courses, and my daughter is now a college Freshman.

Before August 2017
I had perfect attendance.
 

Now
My attendance is impacted by an intermittent family medical leave.
I am a caregiver for my mother and growing personally and professionally.


Passion and Purpose are a great Prescription!





I continue to have the honor and privilege of teaching 5th-grade students.  I am now co-teaching with another colleuge in an inclusion setting. I am delighted to be in the same school building.  This is my fourth year in this wonderful learning community on the East Side of Joliet.

I'll be 50 years old in September.  I started in this profession when I was 19.  That means I've been living this education lifestyle for 30 years.  Wow!  I still feel like a new teacher.

Our school's movement towards a 1:1 transition has changed direction.  I have a Smart Board, a document camera, and a teacher laptop.  Our school will redistribute Chromebooks for student use in September.  Primary students will have more devices. 

My comfort with technology is increasing daily.  I continue to adore the positive Ed Tech culture. I went to ISTE in Chicago, and it changed my life.  It is my greatest Ed Tech Success.  I paid for it out of pocket, and I have absolutely no regrets.  My mind is still spinning!

9 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh YOU are AWESOME. Love your blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Unknown,

      Thank you for your kindness. I am at my device now feeling like a worn out dish rag. Today was day 4 of school. Your feedback is fueling me.

      Delete
  2. Omg. I'm so humbled. I'm such a big sap, I got tears in my eyes reading and seeing how I inspired your "Then and Now" REintroduction. You're amazing and I couldn't be happier that we have been on this journey of technology for the past year together.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah Veronica... As this new year unfolds, with all the changes and struggles, never forget that you are a super woman. Your journey through the challenges of a maturing family, and maturing sense of self, while growing and learning to better your practice and mine are inspiring. So when those days come, and they do, here is a little something to pick you up if we can't. Let's call it your theme song. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-AphKUK8twg

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love it! You continue to be an inspiration to all who know you. Looking SO forward to working with you again!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your spirit! I am glad you are in the 679 learning community. I am sure we are going to learn from each other and have some fun too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heidi, I'm glad to be apart of this learning community. Thanks for setting the tone with a great first class meeting.

      Delete
  6. Veronica-
    I am so glad to hear your mom is beating cancer! You have certainly taken on a great deal this past year. I would never have known you were not very "tech savy" when you started this program. Your love of learning and positive spirit is what teaching needs more of.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your blog always makes me smile:-) Such great news about your mom!

    ReplyDelete